- Thomas Mühlpointner (Future Camp Climate CmbH); Alexander Scholz, Alexander Jülich (Wuppertal Institut für Klima, Umwelt, Energie GmbH)
- Version number
- Publication date
16 December 2022
- Suggested Citation
- Agora Industry, Future Camp, Wuppertal Institut (2022): Carbon Contracts for the transformation of industry: Calculator for the assessment of transformation costs for low-CO2 primary steel production. Model version 1.1, Berlin, 16.12.22
- This publication was produced within the framework of the project Carbon Contracts for the industrial transformation.
This online tool allows one to calculate the incremental and CO2 reduction costs of low-carbon or climate-neutral production of crude steel with natural gas or green hydrogen-based direct reduction of iron compared with the conventional blast furnace route.
The project goals are:
- To identify and quantify the incremental costs of low-carbon or climate-neutral climate-friendly crude steel production.
- To develop a tool with which an assessment and discussion of specific projects, possibly as a first step towards awarding carbon contracts, becomes possible.
- To create a transparent basis for the discussion of the costs and benefits of the transformation of a production plant and the necessary infrastructure.
- To create a basis for estimating the total investment and financing requirements for the transformation of the steel industry to climate neutrality.